Assalamualaikum wbt and a very good day readers.
As I said before, I would like to share some tips and tricks for MUET Speaking Test. These are based on what I studied before the test.
1. Prepare about 3 reasons to elaborate your point.
2. Present only 2 of your reasons (choose the best). If you have time, you may speak about the third reason.
3. Make sure you make conclusion of your point. It’s easy actually, just read again the task given. (e.g In conclusion, I would like to state again that fast food outlet provides job opportunities to young people. Thank you.)
4. Make sure you DON’T finish up your talk before time (2 minutes).
5. For task A, you MUST agree with the point given to you.
6. If you are the last candidate, it is an advantage as you have most time to prepare, but make sure you listen to what other candidates talk too!
7. If you are the first candidate, don’t worry, even you have a short time to prepare, you may add some points during task B. It is an advantage too as the mark given for task A and task B is seperated.
1. For task B, you should choose which point is the best and agree with. Numbering the best to the worst point is a good effort.
2. It is not compulsary for you to agree with the point given to you in task A.
3. Make sure you do not leave behind the discussion. If it is looks like you are not given opportunity to talk, just interupt the discussion at the correct time.
4. If you want to interrupt, make sure you use good language.
5. If you have finish up your speak, just pass it to other candidate. (e.g How about you, candidate C? Do you agree with me?)
6. It is not compulsary for the first candidate to start on the discussion, but it is an advantage if you start the discussion. The person that start the discussion is acting as Master of Ceremony (MC).
7. It is better if MC to state the conclusion, but others can do it so also.
1. Make sure you talk loudly so that the examiners and other candidates can hear what you are talking about.
2. Do make eye contact with others. Act like you are not reading the text.
3. Use a very good language. Do not be rude. Use the magic words like thank you, excuse me, please and others.
List of Useful Language
1. A very good morning I bid to one and all.
2. Good morning to the examiners and all my fellow candidates.
3. The situation I have been given is…
4. According to the situation…
5. Based on the situation given…
6. I have 3 reasons to justify my point.
7. First and foremost,…
9. My second point is…
10. Another reason is…
13. Last but not least,…
14. Furthermore/Moreover/In addition,…
17. Other than that,…
18. On the other hand,…
22. In contrast,…
23. For example/For instance,…
24. Take for example,…
25. … and so on/many more/ others.
26. In conclusion/As a conclusion,…
27. In short/In a nutshell,…
1. Let’s kickstart this discussion by starting with..
2. Allow me to begin…
3. May I begin by saying…
4. That’s a great idea!
5. I see your point!
6. That’s an interesting perspective.
7. I like your suggestion.
8. Indeed, I do see your point of view but I still feel that…
9. I concur with your point of view.
10. I’m sorry but I disagree.
11. I’m afraid I have to disagree with your idea.
12. I don’t see eye to eye with you.
13. That’s not a good idea/suggestion.
14. I beg to differ.
15. I’m sorry for interrupting but…
16. Excuse me, may I interrupt please.
17. Pardon me for interrupting but..
18. Could you please hear me out?
19. So what do you think, Candidate X?
20. How about your point of view?
21. Candidate X, what is your opinion?
22. Does anyone agree with me?
23. Why don’t we consider the other points?
24. I’m sorry I don’t understand, can you please elaborate again?
25. In conclusion, ALL OF US agree that… (If all agree)
26. To conclude, MOST OF US agree that… (If the number of agree is higher than disagree)
27. In a nutshell, SOME OF US agree that… while the rest prefer… (If the number of agree is equal to the number of disagree)
28. As time is running out, it seems that ALL OF US can’t seem to agree on a single point so… (All have different point to agree)
29. That’s the end of this discussion, thank you.
Hmm, I just wonder about this thing too before get into the exam hall. It is stated in the examination slip that you have to wear appropriate attire. So, please wear a suitable suit. It is just like you want to attend an interview session.
For male, please wear business shirt (kemeja) either long sleeve or short sleeve. Long dark slack pants. Tie is not compulsary. Dark socks and shoes. Neatly brushed hair. No additional accessories like earrings, necklace and others. Watch is allowed.
For female, I am not so sure, but the most famous interview attire in Malaysia of course is Baju Kurung. That is the best choice for female I think. But if you like to wear a business attire, please make sure it is not sexy attire like short skirts.
JIMIE : All the best! ;)
Further information, you may refer to this link : http://www.seekingsuccess.com/articles/art166.php
LIST OF USEFUL LINKS
1. Muet My Way! (http://muetmyway.blogspot.com/)
2. Come Sokmo : Tips Cemerlang MUET (Speaking Test) (http://wherearepeace.blogspot.com/2010/10/tips-cemerlang-muet-speaking-test.html)
3. Majlis Peperiksaan Malaysia (http://www.mpm.edu.my/) <-- get the overview format over here!
4. MUET Speaking Test Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHjBS8v1xY)
5. Good English Essay (http://goodessays.blogspot.com/2006/10/muet-speaking-past-years-questions.html)
Other links, you just google them.(http://www.google.com.my/search?q=MUET+speaking+test&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-my:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en)
>>>Any further questions, you may leave comments or e-mail me.<<<